Monday, May 14, 2012

Following a rest day, 6.6 mi in 42 min

I was far more tired than I had expected to be, yesterday. I didn't ride, and after a leisurely lunch and visit with the kids, sitting in the shade in their back yard, came home exhausted, and somewhat stiff.

I'm beginning to think the idea of a daily bike ride is impractical. At this point. I believe if I'd tried to ride yesterday, it would have really wiped me out.

Besides, the daily ride simply takes too much time. The ride itself isn't the problem. It's the need to cool down, stretch, take recovery drink, etc. -- not to mentioning writing down the details of everything.

I skipped the stretching on Saturday, and I think that may have contributed to my fatigue. Maybe not.

Anyway, last night I slept a very restful 9.5 hours, and this morning rode 6.6 miles, taking it easy, and cooled down by walking to New Seasons and back, and stretching rather carefully, and doing some light housekeeping. I also had a protein drink. Which reminds me ...

I'm RETHINKING PROTEIN. For the past few weeks, I had been limiting my intake of eggs, dairy, meats, and fish, and attempting to increase plant-based protein. But I've also been disappointed in my energy level, even when I've gotten plenty of sleep. So today I decided to go back to the way I was eating last summer. Accordingly, I started the day with an egg(substitute) sandwich ... and then another. And I feel as though it perked me right up.

So for the next week or so, I plan to push the protein, and see if it accellerates my getting in shape, which, for the past week or two, has not been going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment